*under 30-seconds per brush// This post contains affiliate links. Find out more here
Something I’m quite embarrassed to admit – but hey I’m going to admit it anyway – is that I’m awful at cleaning my makeup brushes. I just find it so laborious – all the scrubbing and the hours of drying. Trying to find an opportunity when I a) actually have the time & b) actually have the energy for it, has proved elusive to say the least.
It’s not that I never clean them – it’s just that I don’t do them as often as I should. Which, by the way, professionals say is once-a-week. Hats off to you if you manage it, but the time between cleaning my brushes would lead into months. Which knowing what I now know, makes me grimace if I’m honest.
Why should you clean your makeup brushes anyway?
Dirty makeup brushes (and when I say dirty, I mean used) accumulate oil residue, dead skin cells and bacteria which you then sweep straight onto your skin. This can lead to clogged pores, breakouts, cold-sores & general skin irritation. Not to mention stopping the brush performing its’ best for you.
Did you know? A study by Loyola Marymount University found that after one month, uncleaned makeup brushes hoarded more bacteria than they were even able to measure.
Source: Simonian, A., 2013, The Identification of Bacteria Found on Makeup Brushes, Loyola Marymount University, California.
When you’re someone who invests time, money & effort into your skincare routine – why would you blow it all the moment you apply your makeup with less than clean brushes?
This was something I asked myself & what led me to make a simple but significant change.
The easiest way clean your makeup brushes…
The StylPro Original Makeup Brush Cleaner & Dryer has been an absolute godsend, let me tell you! It is so simple & so quick and if you use makeup brushes I cannot recommend this to you highly enough.
How it works…
I simply put some solution** into the bowl provided. I secure my brush into one of the 8-flexible silicone collars (of differing sizes) and attach it to the StylPro device. Then I gently submerge the brush bristles into the solution, allowing them to open slightly. Keeping the bristles submerged, I switch the device on for 10-seconds. Then I gradually raise it from the solution – still holding it within the bowl but out of the solution – and leave it on for a further 10-seconds to spin & dry.
You will not believe the result…
Or at least I didn’t. My brushes were clean & dry and ready to use – straight away!
Watch this video to see for yourself:
**Brushes used for cream-based makeup (non-water soluble, such as foundation) require one sachet (10 ml) of StylPro Makeup Brush Cleanser. Brushes used with water-soluble makeup such as powder, just require a small amount of liquid soap with water.
StylPro is also a cost-effective way to clean your makeup brushes…
Aside from the fact it is hands-down the best way I have ever cleaned my brushes (and will continue to clean my brushes) The StylPro is actually cost-effective.
Yes, the original outlay is more than other brush cleaners (currently £39.99) but it’s great value for money in the longer term:
- It uses less solution – and if you’re cleaning water-soluble makeup from your brushes it’s the cost of liquid hand soap.
- It can help to extend the life of the brush bristles & maybe even prevent you from needing to replace a brush you had previously felt was so caked with makeup it was beyond saving.
- Additionally, fewer breakouts due to unclean brushes can save you money on spot-preventing skincare.
Alex, this StylPro sounds perfect!
Well almost, there are a few things to draw your attention to:
- Whilst it genuinely does take under 30-secs to clean & dry each brush, I do recommend cleaning out the bowl between brushes. This is mainly due to the dirty water that can leave a residue on the sides of the bowl. The bowl will need a thorough scrub at the end.
- You will need to purchase a full-size solution. Your pack comes with 2 x 10ml sachets which are basically enough to clean two brushes with non-water-soluble makeup on. The cleanser is £8.99 and is good for 15 brushes. Remember for all water-soluble makeup you can use liquid soap.
- If you’re attempting to clean a brush that you’ve not cleaned in months – if not years (who, me?) you are not going to get it squeaky clean in one attempt. You will need to repeat the process a couple of times initially – which is still significantly quicker than manual cleaning. Once I got into a regular cleaning habit my brushes did come out very clean each time.
Good to know: The Stylpro Makeup Brush Cleanser is free from alcohol, parabens and sulphates, and registered by the Vegan Society. It is also infused with nourishing Wheatgerm, Grapeseed and Argan oils, it will gently condition to leave fibres feeling smooth and protected.
Let me leave you with this…
It wouldn’t have mattered how little it cost (it could have been free!) or what brand I used, or knowing how important it was to clean your makeup brushes – short of employing someone to clean my brushes for me, I was unlikely to change my brush cleaning habits.
The only thing that could make me change my ways needed to require absolute minimum effort & minimum time. I cannot tell you how happy I am now I’ve finally found the solution! Honestly, unless you actually enjoy the action of scrubbing your brushes and welcome the hours it takes for them to dry – treat yourself to a StylPro, I’m pretty certain you’ll be glad that you did.
Want even more ways to save time when it comes to your makeup? Read: How to do Your Makeup in Only 5-Minutes
How do you currently clean your makeup brushes? Or are you like I previously was and rarely clean your makeup brushes at all? Did you realise the why it’s important to keep them clean or this new information to you? Do you use or have you used the StylPro before? If you have any questions at all, please don’t hesitate to ask, I am happy to help & will always give you my honest opinion. Just leave a comment in the box below – I always love to hear from you!